Thursday, April 12, 2012

Asparagus Mushroom Quiche

Yesterday on hubby's day off I made this yummy quiche.
When I was younger I never liked asparagus, but I love it in this quiche. I just think way back then I didn't really know what to do with it or how to prepare it properly. I found the recipe HERE, but I made a few changes to it like I do to almost any recipe I find. You could also replace the asparagus with chopped broccoli. I don't know how her quiche was done in only 30-35 minutes.

Asparagus Mushroom Quiche

Yield: 8 servings

1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium purple onion, chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream plus 1/3 cup of 1% milk
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon of spicy brown mustard (next time I'm trying a whole teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Unroll pastry and firmly press into a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; flute edges. Note: I used a metal pie crust guard while I baked this for one hour.

Cook asparagus in a covered dish in the microwave for about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.

In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in butter until tender. Stir in asparagus. Transfer to crust.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream/milk, basil, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over top.

Bake at 375° for about 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

No comments: