Monday, September 02, 2013

Super Afghan Loom or The S Loom

Last week while Jo-Ann's had the knitting board's (www.knittingboard.com) Super Afghan Loom ( S Loom) on sale I decided to buy it.

I'm working on the Basketweave Blanket pattern (60" x 42") that came with the loom. Other afghan patterns are included as well.

I'll let you in on some of my tips and tricks...

I found that I HAD to use a tool to cast on instead of using my fingers which I've always used with my other looms. This empty Bic pen threaded onto my skein of yarn first before starting the project worked great.

The 2 black markers mark the beginning and end of the loom row. They also mark to remind me that I need to slip that end peg at the beginning of each row. I used painter's tape to mark every 8th peg for the pattern. And to further mark the pattern I cut up a fast food straw in several sections to slip over the pegs marking the start of my knit stitch for 8 pegs. A thinner straw marks the start of my purl section of 8 pegs. This marker I move as I knit along - marking my next set of 8 purl stiches. But, I marked the WHOLE loom first with straw sections to signify the start of my knit stitch section of 8 pegs. As I knit the sections I remove the straw markers until I get to the end of the row and then replace them for the next row.

At first it was a bit awkward to cast on, hold and knit with, but you get into a pattern of how to hold it as you knit around the loom. It's well made, sturdy, just the right size (not too big) and using the pick that came with it makes knitting very easy on this loom.

I'm loving it and recommend it highly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When when got to the 184 peg is that the end of row 1 and going back would be the beginning of row 2? I am confused as to what stitch I do after I get to the last peg. The patterns says for rows 1 -4 due four knits and four purls to the end and I don't know what to do when I get to the last peg to get back to the first peg Hope ou can ehjl

kittyred said...

I'm sorry, I can't give you a quick answer as I haven't been able to get back to this project since I posted it. I'll have to study it and think about it myself now before I'll be able to continue.

Unknown said...

I have been making an afghan with the 60" afghan loom, need a good tutorial on how to take it off the loom when I have finished. Any suggestions?

kittyred said...

Hi Nancy - you'll find all kinds of videos for looming at YouTube.com.

Unknown said...

Greetings,

I just got my S loom and love it! I'm working on making a blanket with Bernat Blanket yarn that is kind of chunky. I love the color and feel, but I'm worried I'm going to have problems casting off. Do you think this yarn ok to use on a S loom?
-CR

kittyred said...

Hi Carrie - Honestly, I don't know... Sorry...I know there are some yarns harder to work with than others, but don't know if there are any you shouldn't use with this S Loom.

Unknown said...

if you are doing the figure 8 stitch on kb loom here is a good cast off video KB Super Afghan Loom (S loom) Part 2/2 just look it up in utube