Monday, January 26, 2009

Tube Bed Socks/Slippers



I've never been so glad to get a loom-knit project done.

These tube bed socks/slippers I designed for hubby were supposed to be for Christmas and when I didn't get them finished (was knitting a lot of baby items) they were to be part of his birthday on January 14. Well, at least I finished them before January is over. :o) I hate stuff sitting around unfinished.

I don't know if it's the yarn I used (that looks and feels like wool, but isn't - Red Heart Super Saver - Aran Fleck) or the stitch I used or both, but I ended-up with a blister and really sore hands making them.

I used two stitchs (right now I forget what they are called) where you knit 2 over 1 for 1 row and 1 over 2 for the body of the sock which makes them thick. The yarn is vintage from my mom's stash, and it doesn't stretch very much. If the photo isn't clear it's a creme with flecks of brown, black, rust and grey.

If anyone wants the pattern - Here it is quickly...
Next time I will use a softer yarn...This pair is a little stiff, but they should be warm.

Bed Tube Socks/Slippers - Fits men's size 11-12 (women's size 8-1/2-9).

Two strands of #4 yarn held together as one. (2 skeins, 5 oz each, 260 yds - not completely used)
Knifty Knitter small, blue loom - knitting in the round.
Stitches/methods used - E-wrap CO, E-wrap stitch, 2 over 1 for 1 row, 1 over 2, U-stitch, and Gather BO.

E-wrap cast-on all pegs.

E-wrap stitch for 12 rows (Knit 1 over 1) Pull-up for cuff.

Row 13 - Knit what's on the loom without wrapping - 1 over 1.

Wrap the loom twice - you will have 3 sets of 2 (each 2 strands = 1) on each peg.

Row 14 - Knit 2 over 1.

Wrap the loom twice - you will have 3 sets of 2 (each 2 strands = 1) on each peg.

Row 15 - Row 100 (70 for women's) - Knit 1 over 2.

Row 101 (71) - Knit what's on the loom without wrapping - 1 over 1.

Row 102 (72) - Row 106 (76) - Switch to the U-stitch and knit for 5 rows.

Gather Bind-Off (Like you would do for a hat).

No comments: