This is my meatless version of THIS recipe that was prepared on Let's Dish...
Over a year ago I went vegan (or tried to). I'm still eating no meat of any kind - no beef, pork, chicken, or lamb (which I've never eaten) etc., but I do eat fish. And reluctantly, I added back into my diet some eggs and dairy.
kittyred's Meatless Egg and Potato Casserole
2 pounds Idaho potatoes (2 really large), peeled, sliced 1/4" thick
1 - 8 oz. package of Morning Star Farms Hot & Spicy Sausage Patties
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 - 4 ounce can chopped mild green chilies, drained the best you can
1-3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup of your favorite prepared tomato salsa (I used Walmart's Great Value brand in lime and garlic - love that stuff)
4 oz. grated sharp cheddar cheese
10 large eggs (must use large size eggs)
2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
Prepared salsa to top each slice along with a pinch of grated cheese
1. Place the potato slices in a large pot filled with salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until JUST tender, approximately 7-8 minutes. Don't overcook or the slices will fall apart - (very important).
2. Drain the potatoes well.
3. Arrange the cooked potato slices in the bottom of an oiled 9 x 13 baking dish.
4. In a medium sauté pan, cook the onions until soft and remove from heat. Break-up into your desired size the defrosted sausage patties (all 6 veggie patties) and add to the cooked onions. Spread evenly over potato layer.
5. Mix the green chilies and the salsa together well and spread over the potatoes.
6. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
7. Wrap with plastic and store in the refrigerator overnight if to be served the following day. If not, continue with the recipe.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and milk in a large bowl. Pour egg mixture over the top of the casserole.
10. Bake uncovered until the eggs are set and the top is lightly browned (50 min. to an hour ). Test by inserting a knife into the center and if it comes out clean the dish is done. Don't overcook.
11. Let rest five minutes before serving for easier cutting.
12. Top each serving with a dollop or more of salsa and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
[image: Tutorial: Skinny hair bows]These skinny fabric bows make the cutest hair accessories! Kimberly from Sweet Red Poppy shows how you can sew these ...
2 hours ago