Friday, April 21, 2017

My Beloved Chico Is Gone - And Probably My Last Blog Post (???)



It is such a sad, sad, painful day for me...

What do you do when the little guy that has kept you company 24/7 for nearly 12 years (and ended up pretty much being your therapy dog) - is no longer with you?  He took on that job so willingly too. In these later years I was his therapy person.  It was only fair...

My Chico passed away early this morning in his freshly washed bed with the first blanket I bought him 13 years ago after he came home with us to be my little companion.

HE made the choice (and made it known to his owner) that he was coming home with me that day when hubby and I answered the ad his owner had put in the paper.  He was 2 years old - a stud dog she wanted to retire or as I looked at it - get rid of and make a little money at the same time.

The night before he died, he got to enjoy one of his most favorite foods - take-out pizza! (well, only tiny, tiny bits of the crust bottom), He always got so excited seeing that box come in the door.  And, he so loved Easter this year; very much enjoying tiny bits of the ham I prepared.

He and I had our last cuddle and pet session on my lap that same night. We think he had a heart attack while he was sleeping.  I left him sleeping as you see him below in the pic.... I was out of the room at the time it happened - maybe Chico planned it that way. He had been living for several years with an enlarged heart; among other things, and I had been faithfully giving him 2 different medications 3 times a day for 2-1/2 years - getting back the two years he wasn't with me after his birth.

I had been uploading a Walmart grocery receipt to a couple of apps on my phone only a couple or so hours earlier and just decided to snap a pic of him - always knowing he wouldn't be around for much longer....I just didn't know that today, only a few hours later, would be THE day he would be gone...

He was a happy boy right up until the end despite his medical problems.  I did so much editing of this blog post 'cause I wanted to get it just right.  He was the bestest dog ever...I will miss him so terribly much!









No comments: